Published On: August 5ᵗʰ, 2019 19:03
Release 15.4SY Supervisor Engine 2T Software Configuration Guide
Campus Fabric provides the basic infrastructure for building virtual networks based on policy-based segmentation constructs. Fabric Overlay provides services such as host mobility and enhanced security, which are additional to normal switching and routing capabilities.
- Fabric Edge Devices — Provide connectivity to users and devices that connect to the fabric domain. Fabric edge devices identify and authenticate endpoints, and register endpoint ID information in the fabric host-tracking database. They encapsulate at ingress and decapsulate at egress, to forward traffic to and from endpoints connected to the fabric domain.
- Fabric Control-Plane Devices — Provide overlay reachability information and endpoints-to-routing-locator mapping, in the host-tracking database. The control-plane device receives registrations from fabric edge devices with local endpoints, and resolves requests from edge devices to locate remote endpoints.
- Fabric Border Devices — Connect traditional Layer 3 networks or different fabric domains to the local domain, and translate reachability and policy information, such as VRF and SGT information, from one domain to another.
- Virtual Contexts — Provide virtualization at the device level, using virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) to create multiple instances of Layer 3 routing tables. Contexts or VRFs provide segmentation across IP addresses, allowing for overlapped address space and traffic separation.
- Host-Pools — Group endpoints in the fabric domain into IP pools, and identify them with a VLAN ID and an IP subnet.
- Catalyst 6500 switch can act as a border router or control plane device.
- If RBACL enforcement is not done on the border router, then the user needs to configure SGT caching on the border and transport the SGT via SXP to a further upstream router.
- Configure no more than 512 virtual contexts for unicast and 100 virtual contexts for multicast, in each fabric border node.
- IPv6 layer 3 mobility is not supported.